Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First Anniversary

A whole year has passed since beginning my journey through life without a stomach. I feel like celebrating! I've made it! And I am doing really well.

Eating. No major dramas. I eat everything and anything. Still a little cautious with white rice. I pay particular attention to eating rice slowly because if I don't, it often finds its way back up. If I gulp my food or take too large of a mouthful and don't chew it up really well, this too can cause some discomfort. I am eating breakfast, morning tea snack, lunch (usually left overs from dinner the night before), afternoon tea snack, dinner at about 6.30pm and another small dinner at about 9pm. Sometimes I may also have a small meal at about 4pm, if I am at home. I no longer desire icecream or chocolate and rarely partake in these indulgences. Its hasn't stopped me from trying though. . . This has been a BIG change for me as previously, I would eat copious amounts of icecream!

Drinking. Still not able to drink water confidently. I do attempt sipping some from time to time and I am very aware that I need to pay some more attention to increasing my fluid intake. I will have 3/4 of a cup of coffee in the morning, a soft drink (can of coke, lift) or juice, half a cup of tea in the afternoon and a juice or sips of water in the evening. No desire for alcohol but have enjoyed a couple of sips of beer from time to time. I have switched to A2 milk (an easily digestible milk) and use it in my coffee, tea, cereal and protein shake.

Weight. Stable. I dropped 1.5 kilos in the second week of May when I picked up a head cold (typical for me at the start of Winter each year). I just didn't feel like eating very much for two days and poof! I shed 1.5 kilos (3 pounds). This freaked me out a little and prompted me to add in the 9pm meal of an evening. Have gained back just .5 kilo. Currently maintaining 59.2 kilos (130 lbs). I have a healthy BMI of 22 and I am in the middle of the recommended weight range for my height. Total loss to date, 17.4 kilos (38 lbs).

Vitamins. Just received my 12 month (post gastrectomy) blood test results today. My Iron levels are too low and I have to begin a supplement of Iron tablets every second day. B12 levels are good, having B12 injections every 8 weeks. Drinking an ISOWhey Protein drink most days, mixed with A2 milk.

Exercise. Haven't been to the gym in several months now. I was going at least twice a week but found I was getting very tired and headachey, particularly on the 'gym' days. And my life is SO very busy, I am finding it a real challenge, fitting it in. Planning to begin a new regime with the more achievable goal of attending the gym at least once a week (at least until my membership runs out at the end of the year). Will reassess then. Do lots of incidental exercise, particularly with the kids.

Work/Study. Doing 4 - 6 Tupperware parties per month and managing well with this workload. Attending evening meetings twice a month. Lifting large and awkard boxes (filled with Tupperware) and carrying heavy bags in and out of the car and homes. Studying to become a Teacher Aide at TAFE, attending the college every Thursday morning. I completed two weeks of Vocational Placement (prac) as a Teacher Aide in a kindergarten in May, working 6 hours a day, five days a week....was very challenging. The first two days of each week I endured a massive headache and was very exhausted during, and for a about five days after the prac. Not sure if I am looking forward to another 2 weeks of prac in August as I am concerned about coping physically. The work is not difficult but I think that it is more of a challenge for me as this is the first time I have been back to 'fulltime work' since having children, and it is an entirely new and unfamiliar work environment. I am thinking that maybe working 3 days per week would be more manageable for me at this point in time, and in my life.

Life. Very busy! With a husband, two children under five, a dog, a household, groceries, washing, ironing, cooking, baking, swimming lessons, school and kindy drop off and pick up, studying, assignments, and a half a dozen Tupperware parties thrown in here and there....I never seem to stop! And don't want to either!

1 comment:

  1. Sugarboo Extra Long Digital Titanium Styler
    Sugarboo titanium damascus knives Extra titanium or ceramic flat iron Long Digital Titanium Styler. ford escape titanium for sale Price: $9.99; Quantity: 10; titanium hair Brand: Stone Age Furniture; Chain Type: Electronic; Weight: 4 pounds titanium muffler

    ReplyDelete