Thursday, January 14, 2010

6 Months Post-Op


It has been 6 months today since I had my stomach removed. Wow! I ate a whole iced doughnut today whilst walking around the local shopping centre with my children. Three months ago, I would have gagged on the tiniest nibble of this very naughty treat. Sometimes I just cannot believe what I am able to eat! Big beautiful ham & salad crusty bread rolls, fat homemade hamburgers, spaghetti & meatballs and my best Pizza eating effort so far has been 4 slices of Pizza Huts Super Supreme Pan Pizza.

I still have some drama from time to time. That feeling of food 'getting stuck' as it is on its way down still occurs. I little bit of regurgitation later and I feel back on track and able to finish my food. I have decided that the best way to beat this is to remain calm, relaxed and stress free whenever I approach food. Every time I am in a relaxed state, food is my friend. The moment I let a little stress or tension take over my body, the drama begins. (Even the tiniest amount of stress can cause problems). And I love eating out! No stress there....no need to decide what to cook, when to cook it, prepare the food, present it, do dishes or clean up.....!

I have dropped another kilo since my last post and have now maintained 60 kilos (132 pounds) for about 6 weeks. My perfect weight! Smack bang in the middle of my recommended BMI range, and also my goal weight. I am a little obsessed with weighing myself each morning and I record my weight in my diary every Tuesday.

I have been managing to get to the gym about twice a week, where I really enjoy the Pump (weight training) and Combat (martial arts style workout) Classes. I endeavour to become a little more disciplined in attending at least 2 regular classes per week.

Still staying up way too late at night. This will need to change dramatically within the next couple of weeks as my son Cooper starts school at the end of the month and I will need to up bright & early and out the door each day at 8.30am! The trouble with staying up so late is that by mid afternoon, I am in desperate need of a nap, barely able to keep my eyes open, even more so by the third or fourth day. And then as soon as I have a nap, I am not able to get to sleep at a reasonable hour, and thus the cycle continues.

Still not able to drink water with ease. I have discovered that a can of Coke goes down really well; not a good habit I intend on keeping. (I never drank Coke prior to the surgery). I am also drinking the kids Popper Juice at the moment (no more than 1 a day) as it seems to quench my thirst (250ml Pine Orange Juice in a box). Have had 3 cups of coffee in 6 months (BIG deal for a 2 cup a day lady....) and have completely gone off tea. I can't really remember the last time I drank any sustagen or gatorade....have just been getting on with living!

Work wise, I have stepped down as a manager, which relieves a lot of pressure, however I am continuing to be a very active Tupperware Demonstrator. My goal is to average 2 parties per week so that I can pay for my childrens private schooling. This is a very achievable goal and a comfortable one too that I feel I will be able to manage physically.

I made a doctors appointment for Monday; just thought that I might get a blood test to see where my B12 and Iron levels are at now that I have reached this little 6 month 'mile stone'.

I think I have covered everything! Had a wonderful Christmas & New Years break with a lovely holiday to Noosa on the Sunshine Coast with my family. And its also where I decided that my goal for 2010 if to remain relaxed and stress free. (Mainly for my own healths sake, but also for my family). I am now really looking forward to my journey through the 'next 6 months'.

Happy New Year!




1 comment:

  1. Lookin' good girl, lookin' good! So happy to hear you are doing well. Isn't it amazing how the human body can adjust? I'm going to have to start watching my weight - I think I'm gaining. I need to follow your lead and get back into my workout routine again - something that has been lacking since my surgery. Best to you Tammy!

    ReplyDelete